COVID-19 has caused a lot of our lives to come to a complete halt, preventing us from enjoying the simple things such as a guilty McDonalds.
But fear not, as we have the recipe to make your very own Big Mac sauce to put on your gourmet burgers at home!
It is so simple. All you need is to combine the following ingredients together:
- 4 tablespoons American mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 diced gherkins
- 1 tablespoon of gherkin brine
- ½ finely diced onion
For the burger:
- 1kg of good quality ground beef
- 50g of frozen unsalted butter
- 1tbsp of garlic granules (or fresh garlic)
- American cheese slices
- Brioche buns
- Bacon (optional)
- Shredded lettuce
- Pre heat gas or charcoal grill to a high heat on one side and low heat on the other
- In a medium size mixing bowl, place the ground beef. Using a box grater, grate the frozen butter and add to the beef. Try to distribute the butter evenly while mixing together.
- Form the beef mixture into two patties, about 4 inches wide and one inch thick so when the beef is fully cooked it will shrink to the size of the bun. Lay the patties on a sheet tray or plate and chill for at least ten minutes. Season all sides of the patties generously with salt and pepper.
- Oil the meat well on both sides and place onto the high heat side of the grill. Cook to get nice grill marks for about 3-4 minutes
- At the same time add the bacon slices
- Flip the beef patties and repeat the same cooking steps for the second side (about 4 minutes total). Move the patties to the low heat side of the grill once the meat is about medium rare inside (Note: if you like your meat cooked through more then cover the grill for a few minutes before you add your cheese).
- Flip the bacon
- If the bacon seems fully cooked remove it from the grill. If it needs a few minutes still, move it to the low heated side.
- Lightly butter the brioche buns and add to the low heated grill side. Cover the meat with American cheese and close the lid on the grill for 1-2 minutes, checking the buns so that they do not burn.
- Place the buns on the cutting board with the insides faced up. Apply a generous amount of the “Big Mac” sauce to both sides. Place the shredded lettuce on top and then the cheeseburger, followed by the bacon.